Monday, October 18, 2010

All Children, Except One, Grow Up.


photo courtesy of the-optimist

listen

This picture leaves me breathless. While trying to find something for my blog about how I cooked dinner in my new studio apartment and how I'm living the life I always dreamed of, I stumbled upon this. I thought it was hilarious really, that while I was about to blog about my adult life, this photograph brought me down into thoughts of childhood.
I've never liked the Disney version of Peter Pan, however, the story itself is one of my all time favorites. The thought of staying young forever, flying away to Neverland, the chance to spend a lifetime with Peter Pan, all add to the wonder of this story. I sat there thinking what song I would pick to go along with this and then it hit me after about 10 tries. I picked "Somewhere Only We Know", by Keane, my favorite song in the whole wide world. The mood, harmony, and message behind the song perfectly complement my idea of Peter Pan.
So here I sat, in my studio apartment, feeling independent but lonely, proud I had reached my childhood dream of going to college and having "my own place", but dreading all of the responsibility I have ahead of me, especially with the Medical path, and then Peter Pan jumped into my life.

Maybe he'll come to my window and take me away to Neverland. I'll be waiting.


3 comments:

  1. The picture is adorable, i even laughed a little :)
    Funny as it sounds, i think about peter pan... alot. we should read it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you add music to your blog??
    I'm dyyyying to know how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a GREAT picture!
    And yeah... the Disney version is just too "watered down" as the saying goes. The real thing is so great with its dark, sharp wit and bittersweetness. :)
    And since we all need more Peter Pan... here are two books worth reading -
    Based on Barrie's own idea for more:
    Click!
    And here's a great 'What if?' adventure (but it's not for the kids!): Click!
    BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete