Monday, January 10, 2011

The Cliffs of San Francisco


photo courtesy of Ed Bierman

listen

Well, school is in full swing and I've barely had time to blink, but this past weekend I managed to sneak away to one of my favorite places in the world, San Francisco. My sister, mom, and I decided to go for the day before picking my dad up from the airport. Long story short, we got there only with enough time to have dinner. So we went to our family's favorite restaurant, The Cliff House.
This place is truly magnificent. To put it in the least, it's pure California history. Built in 1858, it burned down twice (along with Sutro baths), but managed to survive the great earthquake and fire of 1906. The website has a nice little history summed up in about a minute. Worth watching. My favorite Cliff House, was the Victorian Cliff House, built after the first fire. Oh how I wish I could have seen it. Sadly, it too burned down with Sutro baths. The picture above is from the 1950's, and this is what it looks like today.
Anyways, you'll pay an arm and a leg to eat, but we go every couple of years for nice occasions. (My mom's birthday was last week, so that's ours. And girls night out!) I would love to have my wedding reception there someday, looking over the ocean. Two hours away isn't that bad, right?

Well, off to homework and Scrubs. Reminds me that pre-med will be worth it in the end, when my life has a Dr. Cox in it. Ha. Sorry if that history was a little drab. What can I say? I'm a nerd! Have a lovely (and hopefully warm) week :)

2 comments:

  1. fun! I've only been there once but it was way fun. there are so many thrifts i want to hit the next time i make it over there. good luck with school girl!
    YOURS, MINE AND OURS

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a gorgeous location for a restaurant! i really enjoy your blog btw!

    ReplyDelete